The Accounting Specialist is a non-exempt position responsible for the day to day receipting and customer service needs of the students, faculty, and staff of Columbia International University. The Accounting Specialist reports to the Student Accounts Supervisor.
- Receipt payments made to CIU for tuition, miscellaneous payments, and fees.
- Review and post all journal from online student payment portal.
- Receive, verify, and receipt departmental income.
- Disburse annual/short term petty cash to CIU and Ben Lippen departments with proper documentation and quarterly audit of annual petty cash holders. Reconcile annual petty cash at FY end.
- Monitor accounting department mailbox and answer all emails within 24 hours.
- Assist students and parents with questions pertaining to the student account.
- Adjusting entries as needed/requested on student accounts.
- Provide front-line customer service to all accounting department visitors, internal and external,
- Monitor student payment plan accounts, apply online payments, contact students who have underpaid/overpaid and make adjustments as necessary.
- Prepare In House Payment Plans and process automatic recurring charges as needed.
- Monitor student accounts.
- Assist with the excess funds process.
- Manage student accounts receivable process.
- Communication with students regarding balances due via Jenzebar, CashNet, and/or email.
- Manage collections process of past due balances; including processing monthly invoice from collections agency.
- Maintain student accounting website on the school’s intranet.
- Make adjusting entries to student accounts as necessary. Provide complete supporting documentation.
- Make monthly campus housing (Pine View & Hatten Rd) charge entries/adjustments, review accounts for deposit refunds, manage automatic recurring housing payments, generate and email monthly statements.
- Balance cash to General Ledger, prepare and make remote bank deposit, settle credit card authorizations with the bank, and post each day’s activity in coordination with the Student Accounts Supervisor.
- Assist with and review recording of gift income as it is submitted to Accounting.
- Manage online store website – adding items and reporting items sold to external departments.
- Maintain a good working relationship with Financial Aid, Registrar, and Student Life to better assist students with questions and concerns.
- Assist with other duties/special projects (Registration, Audit, and Accounts Payable) as assigned.
- Must have general knowledge of accounting procedures
- Proficient in Excel, Word, Outlook, and Jenzabar EX software
- Must have excellent oral and written communications skills
- Must demonstrate people skills to work effectively with students, parents, co-workers, and the general public, exhibiting customer focus and initiative
- Must be able to multi-task and complete responsibilities independently with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Must be capable of meeting deadlines
- Must be goal oriented
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of one year experience in related job.