The music faculty choir director position provides overall leadership to the music program. CIU is seeking a dynamic individual who can serve as a catalyst to grow the music major both in quantity and in quality and to elevate the role of music as part of CIU’s overall kingdom impact. (CIU has recently received a significant grant to facilitate program expansion and expansion of choral activities.)
- Provide overall leadership to the music program. Establish systems and processes to grow the program significantly within 3-5 years.
- Build a dynamic 100-member university choir and orchestra that performs on-campus, in the community, and internationally.
- Develop a strong music partnership between CIU and its related high school (Ben Lippen High School) – a “music academy."
- Develop music ensembles that can perform externally, including traveling with the president and/or development officers.
- Develop networks to ensure the state’s best high school musicians consider CIU.
- Teach courses in the music program.
- Develop/refine the music curriculum, adding new courses and programs as appropriate (e.g. perhaps music and business, music technology, music and worship, music education, music and intercultural studies, etc.).
- Manage the music budget.
- Assist in training students via advising, internships, and practicum experiences.
- Yearly affirm the institution’s mission, doctrinal position, and community standards.
- Extensive knowledge of the disciplines associated with music, including choral and instrumental.
- Dynamic leadership abilities for overseeing the program and related enterprises.
- Ability to teach effectively at the college level.
- Competency in utilizing music technology.
- Competency in or ability to learn and facilitate online education as appropriate.
- Understanding of the needs and trends associated with traditional college age students as well as the traits necessary for graduates of a music program to display.
- Minimum masters degree in music or related field from an accredited university; an earned doctorate (PhD or equivalent) in an appropriate field (e.g. music, the arts, worship) from an accredited university is preferred.
- Commitment to CIU’s mission and vision, and commitment to live within the standards of the CIU community.
- Preference is given to individuals with at least three years of experience teaching at the college level.