Military Transfer Students

CIU is proud to be consistently ranked among the most military-friendly institutions of higher learning in the nation. Military transfer applicants complete the same application as non-transfer students.

Military Transfer

  • Credit is awarded based on the official transcript from the military.
  • ACE recommendation must be submitted for the course.
  • Military credit is designated as upper or lower division by ACE.

Courses Eligible for College Transfer

  • In order to receive full credit for a course, the course must be completed at a college/university accredited by or having candidate status with a Regional Accrediting Organization, ABHE, TRACS, or other accrediting agency recognized by the American Council on Education (USDE).
  • Courses must be submitted on an official transcript.
  • Courses must be college-level.
  • The student must have an earned grade of C or above. (Note: A grade of S or P may not constitute a C or better.)
  • A two-hour course can meet the requirement of a three-hour course, but the student must make up the additional hour.

Courses Eligible for Graduate-Level Transfer  

  • Courses must be earned at the master’s level. Bachelor’s-level courses may serve to meet prerequisites only.
  • Courses must be earned at an accredited institution with a grade of C or above.
  • The courses must fit into your program choice at CIU.

Complex Transfer Situations

Decisions are made by the associate provost. At the graduate level, decisions are made by the academic dean of each college.

Transfer Policies PDF Download

Download a PDF of CIU’s transfer policy.

Apply Now