1. Who may participate?
2. How do I inquire or register?
3. What costs are involved with the weekend?
4. Are parents welcome to attend?
5. Where will my parents stay?
6. What should I pack?
7. Who will I be staying with on campus?
8. Is there a dress code for the event?
9. How soon will the winner be announced?
10. If I am unable to attend the weekend, will I still receive financial aid?
11. Is there a schedule of events?
12. Do I have to attend all of the events?
13. What will the weather will be like?
14. What are the requirements for the Leadership Essay?
15. How do I submit my transcript and SAT or ACT scores?
1. Who may participate? [Go to the top]
All high school seniors with a minimum GPA of 3.0 and a SAT score (math and reading) of 1000 or above are eligible to apply. Students wishing to participate in the scholarship weekend must complete the inquiry form, CIU admissions application, Christian experience essay, CIU financial aid application, and a 500 to 600-word leadership essay. After all items are submitted, students who meet the criteria of the weekend will be sent an invitation to register to attend.
2. How do I inquire or register? [Go to the top]
To inquire for the event, please complete the inquiry form. Students who meet test score and GPA requirements will receive an invitation to register for the weekend. Participants must submit all required materials by November 12, 2012 at 5:00 PM.
3. What costs are involved with the weekend? [Go to the top]
It's free! The only cost incurred by students participating in the weekend is travel to and from Columbia. All housing, meals and events are covered for students. CIU will provide breakfast and lunch for parents on Friday. Students who choose to fly into Columbia will be picked up and returned to the airport by members of the CIU staff and student body.
4. Are parents welcome to attend? [Go to the top]
Although parents and family members are not required to attend, we do encourage them to visit CIU with you. We will prepare events and activities during the weekend especially for them.
7. Who will I be staying with on Campus? [Go to the top]
You will be staying in a CIU residence hall with either a current student or with another Scholarship Weekend participant. You will receive your room assignment when you arrive on campus for the Scholarship Weekend.
8. Is there a dress code for the event? [Go to the top]
You will need a combination of casual and formal clothing for activities during the weekend. During most activities, men are required to wear casual slacks (no jeans/shorts) and ladies are required to wear dress slacks or skirts (no jeans/shorts). For the Saturday luncheon, formal attire is required: men, please wear a tie; ladies, please wear a skirt, dress, or dress slacks. Students will be able to wear jeans/shorts/casual wear at times. Please bring one outfit for our outside group activity (tennis shoes, casual wear, light jacket).
9. How soon will the winner be announced? [Go to the top]
The recipient of the R.C. McQuilkin Leadership Scholarship and the two $5,000 scholarships will be notified within a week of the event. Other scholarship recipients will be notified of their awards via U.S. mail within two weeks of the event.
10. If I am unable to attend the weekend, will I still receive financial aid? [Go to the top]
Yes; you may still be eligible for federal, state, and institutional aid. However, to be eligible for the R.C. McQuilkin Leadership Scholarship or one of the $5,000 scholarships, you must attend this weekend event.
14. What are the requirements for the Leadership Essay? [Go to the top]
Please write a 500 to 600-word essay answering the question: "How do you anticipate being a leader on our campus?" All essays must be typed and double-spaced. Please note that all documents must be submitted to your Enrollment Counselor by Monday, November 12th, 2012.
15. How do I submit my transcript and SAT or ACT scores? [Go to the top]
Contact your high school guidance office and request an unofficial copy of your transcript be either mailed (7435 Monticello Road, Columbia, SC 29203) or faxed (803-223-2500) to CIU. After you have graduated from high school, you will need to submit an official copy of your transcript to CIU if you plan to attend.
When you take your SAT or ACT, you can request that your score be sent to CIU. Another way to send CIU your score is through College Board for the SAT and through ACT, Inc. for the ACT. Screen shots that include the URL, student name, and scores will be accepted. If you have questions, please complete the inquiry form or contact your Enrollment Counselor.
Still have questions? Please complete the inquiry form or call us at (800) 777-2227, ext. 5024.