Master of Divinity in Chaplaincy
In our ever-changing world, ministry must meet people where they are — the workplace. That’s where the Master of Divinity (Chaplaincy) comes in, training you to minister on-site at organizations and businesses. People spend 30 to 40 percent of their lives at work, and chaplains help ensure that time is not devoid of spiritual guidance and support.
You can specialize in two tracks: institutional or organizational chaplaincy. No matter which you choose, you’ll develop a foundation of skills to perform the pastoral, caregiver, emotional, and spiritual roles that help people live happier, healthier lives.
What You’ll Learn
- How to apply the biblical, theological, and doxological aspects of chaplaincy in pluralistic settings
- Methods of practicing the ministry of God’s presence internally and being a bearer of God’s presence to others
- Biblical leadership and ministry skills that display God’s presence
- Evangelistic strategies for bringing others to Christ
- Tools and techniques for providing care for the emotional and spiritual needs of others
Depending on your academic background, this 72-credit-hour program will take about three years.
Is It Offered On Campus or Online?
Why Earn Your Master’s at CBS?
- A comprehensive program with more chaplaincy-focused courses than any chaplaincy program in the United States
- Highly engaged, hands-on classes that focus not only on principles of ministry but also on interpersonal, pastoral-care, and cultural competency skills necessary for workplace environments
- Professors who are practitioners of the subjects they teach and who can provide expert academic advising
- Faculty and staff who are dedicated to getting to know you and providing not only academic support, but spiritual support and guidance as well
- Internships built into the curriculum
- LOGOS Bible software is offered at no additional cost while attending CBS
Career and Ministry Opportunities for Chaplaincy Graduates
Chaplaincy students come from all walks of life and professions, and what makes them truly special—and truly great chaplains — is the myriad experiences they bring with them. Their self-starter attitudes and adaptability, combined with their dedication to helping people through Christ, means they have a wide range of opportunities post graduation.
- Healthcare Chaplain
- Military Chaplain
- Corporate chaplain
- Public Safety Chaplain
- Correctional Chaplain
- Sports Chaplain
Master of Divinity in Chaplaincy Admission Requirements
- Completed application
- $25 application fee
- Official transcripts for highest earned degree and any master’s degree work
- Church leader reference
- Application Essay (800 words total, typed)
- Minimum GPA of 2.5