To support the institutional head in accomplishing his duties by handling the daily operational needs of the office as well as acting as liaison to all areas, internal and external, of the institution.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform word processing and editing
- Manage the president’s appointment calendar.
- Organize the president’s speaking engagements and donor relation trips.
- Receive and screen incoming telephone calls, email messages, and postal mail for the president.
- Receive visitors/guests of the president
- Disseminate information from the president throughout the institution.
- Act as Executive Secretary for the Board of Trustees.
- Act as Executive Secretary for the BLS Board of Directors.
- Maintain a tickler system for the President.
- Establish and maintain a filing system including confidential materials (both electronic and paper copy).
- Work with the president in budgetary formation/oversight.
- Work with the president and appropriate vice-presidents/departmental heads to coordinate preparations and arrangements for special events.
- Assist the president in preparation for teaching classes at CIU.
- Maintain records of the president’s donor development activities in database.
- Maintain Master Contact file with the president’s contacts.
- Assist the president with various Bible studies.
- Complete other assignments as requested by the president.
- College or technical school training.
- Five years of progressive secretarial and administrative experience.
- Experience in higher education administration/Christian ministry preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills (in person, on the phone, in written communications).
- Strong organizational/planning skills required (e.g., for Board meetings, committees, retreats, etc.).
- Good working knowledge of clerical, computer, word processing skills.
- General working knowledge of transcription equipment.
- Good writing and grammar skills, with ability to compose the text of appropriate letters, either over your own signature or over the president's signature.
- Ability to take and produce accurate minutes (board meetings, committee meetings, etc.).
- Ability to work with others (churches, travel agents, etc.) to make all necessary travel and accommodation arrangements for the president's on-the-road travels.
- Must be able to make independent decisions when seeking to resolve difficulties in the daily operation of the office.
- Ability to make appropriate decisions about matters in the absence of the president and to appropriately prioritize items in the workload.
- Ability to deal with various situations that may arise in the office with a pleasant and cooperative attitude.
- Ability to handle pressure due to the work-intensity and people-intensity of the job.
- Ability to handle "ebbs" and "flows" of workload due to president’s schedule. Flexibility to handle variety of tasks and unpredictable nature of president’s schedule.
- Knowledge of higher education and especially knowledge of CIU as an organization preferred.
- Ability to keep many matters in strict confidence.
- Serious and mature, coupled with a good sense of humor.
- Probability of staying with the job into the foreseeable future.