You’ve heard of Black Friday and Cyber Monday. How about #Giving Tuesday?
Celebrated on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving and the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday and Cyber Monday, #GivingTuesday kicks off the charitable season, when many focus on their holiday and end-of-year giving. This year, Columbia International University will be a part of the big day.
Congratulations go out from Columbia International University to Ben Lippen School after the Falcons earned their first state title in football.
The Falcons beat the Porter-Gaud Cyclones from Charleston in overtime 27-21 in a Nov. 19 nail-biter that determined the SCISA (South Carolina Independent School Association) football championship.
Ben Lippen School is a Pre-K to 12th grade Christian school ministry of CIU.
Cliff Barrows, longtime song leader, program director and friend of The Reverend Billy Graham, passed away on Nov. 15 at the age of 93. Many are unfamiliar with how the two met, and the Columbia International University connection to that meeting.
By Janai Tedder
CIU Student Writer
Imagine driving through a tunnel of magnificent trees every morning on your way to work. At first, you look at the trunks, branches and leaves with wonder and awe. But after a while, they become old and familiar. Instead, you notice the traffic, the slow driver in front of you, the smell of exhaust and the minutes you’ll be late for work. The awe of beauty has been lost.
The Director of the Philosophy program provides vision and leadership for the program, as well as serving as curriculum developer and instructor, interacting and advising students within the program, and teaching up to 8 courses per year (24 semester hours) within the discipline of philosophy.
- Provide overall leadership for the philosophy program
- Oversee the development and ongoing refinement of the philosophy curriculum to ensure its consistency with CIU’s institutional mission and its suitability for vocational preparation
- Advise and counsel students within the program
- Assist the division chair and dean of the College of Arts and Sciences in the recruitment and evaluation of adjunct faculty as needed
- Advise the library regarding acquisition and preservation of relevant materials (print and electronic)
- Teach up to eight (8) college level courses per year (24 semester hours)
- Supervise adjunct faculty as needed
- Work within the program budget in consultation with the division chair
- Serve on committees as assigned within the university
- Assist in training students via internships and practicum experiences as appropriate
- Participate in faculty meetings at the college and university level; attend other appropriate events including chapel, conferences, and student events
- Yearly affirm the institution’s mission, doctrinal position, and community standards
- Extensive knowledge of the disciplines associated with philosophy, including but not limited to: logic, classical, medieval, modern, contemporary, and moral philosophy
- Demonstrate a strong knowledge in ethics and the history of Western philosophy including the interconnections between philosophy and theology
- Provide creative vision for the program
- Oversee and ensure the vitality of the curriculum
- Ability to teach effectively at the college level, utilizing technology as appropriate
- Competent in or able to learn and facilitate online education
- Ability to judge competencies and character while remaining sensitive to the needs of those being served
- Understand the needs and trends associated with traditional college age students as well as the traits necessary for graduates of the philosophy program to display
- Ability to confront and resolve conflicts when necessary
- Commitment to CIU’s mission and vision
- Commitment to live within the standards of the CIU community
- An earned doctorate (PhD) in Philosophy from an accredited university is required.
- Some level of post-secondary training in biblical/theological studies is desired to ensure biblical consistency in one’s philosophy of teaching philosophy in a biblical university
- Cross-cultural ministry experience is desired.
- Preference given to individuals with at least three years of teaching at the college level.
By Janai Tedder
CIU Student Writer
Generations of voices echoed in Shortess Chapel as Columbia International University’s alumni, students and faculty celebrated the opening of Homecoming 2016 on Nov. 4-5. Alumni journeyed back to CIU to take a trip down memory lane and participate in events such as the Crowder and Tedashii concert, the CIU Bowl, the Rambunctious Run, the President’s Banquet and class reunions.