|Portrait of a Servant-Leader|
Dr. Howell joined the faculty of CIU’s Seminary & School of Ministry in 1995 and served as assistant dean until 1998; he has taught New Testament and Greek from 1998 until the present. Before coming to Columbia, he served with OMF International in Japan from 1979 until 1994 as a church planter and theological educator. He has taught in Latin America, Eastern Europe, China, and Micronesia and has been Research Fellow at Tyndale House (Cambridge, UK) three times. He is a member of the Evangelical Missiological Society and the Evangelical Theological Society. His books include Servants of the Servant and The Passion of the Servant. He is an ordained Baptist minister.
- The Passion of the Servant: A Journey to the Cross. Resource Publications, 2009.
- Servants of the Servant. A Biblical Theology of Leadership. Wipf & Stock, 2003.
Articles and Chapters in Books
- “Paul’s Theology of Suffering” in Paul’s Missionary Methods: In His Time and Ours eds. Robert L. Plummer and John Mark Terry, 95-106. IVP Academic, 2012.
- “Romans 15:9b-12: Gentiles as the Culminative Focus of Salvation History,” in Interpreting the New Testament Text: Introduction to the Art and Science of Exegesis, eds. Darrell L. Bock and Buist M. Fanning, 367-375. Crossway, 2006.
- “Mission in Paul’s Epistles: Genesis, Pattern, and Dynamics,” in Mission in the New Testament. An Evangelical Approach, eds. William J. Larkin and Joel F. Williams, 63-91. Orbis, 1998.
- “Mission in Paul’s Epistles: Theological Bearings,” in Mission in the New Testament. An Evangelical Approach, eds. William J. Larkin and Joel F. Williams, 92-116. Orbis, 1998.
- “Confidence in the Spirit as the Governing Ethos of the Pauline Mission,” in The Holy Spirit and Mission Dynamics, ed. C. Douglas McConnell, 36-65. William Carey, 1997.
- “Stewardship: Faithfulness with All He Gives Me,” Decision (April 1997): 13-14.
- “Confidence in the Spirit as the Governing Ethos of the Pauline Mission,” Trinity Journal 17 NS: 2 (Fall 1996): 203-21.
- “The Apostle Paul and First Century Religious Pluralism,” in Christianity and the Religions: A Biblical Theology of World Religions, eds. E. Rommen and H. Netland, 92-112. William Carey, 1995.
- “The Center of Pauline Theology,” Bibliotheca Sacra 151 (January-March 1994): 51-71.
- “God-Christ Interchange in Paul: Impressive Testimony to the Deity of Jesus,” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 36:4 (December 1993): 467-79.
- “Pauline Thought in the History of Interpretation,” Bibliotheca Sacra 150 (July-September 1993): 303-26.
- “Pauline Eschatological Dualism and Its Resulting Tensions,” Trinity Journal 14 NS (Spring 1993): 3-24.
- “How Wide is God’s Mercy? A Biblical Perspective on Religious Pluralism,” Hayama Missionary Seminar Journal (Tokyo) 34 (January 1993): 1-26.
- Paul Barnett, Paul: Missionary of Jesus. Eerdmans, 2008. In JETS (June 2009): 389-390.
- Herbert W. Bateman IV, ed., Four Views of the Warning Passages in Hebrews. Kregel, 2007. In JETS (March, 2008): 151-154.
- Robert L. Plummer, Paul’s Understanding of the Church’s Mission: Did the Apostle Paul Expect Early Christian Communities to Evangelize? Paternoster, 2006. In JETS (June, 2007): 401-403.
- Thomas R. Schreiner, Paul: Apostle of God’s Glory in Christ: A Pauline Theology. InterVarsity, 2001. In JETS (December, 2002): 707-708.
- Joel B. Green and Mark D. Baker, Recovering the Scandal of the Cross. InterVarsity, 2000. In EMQ (April, 2001): 258-260.
- Gregory A. Boyd, God at War: The Bible and Spiritual Conflict. Inter-Varsity, 1997. In EMQ (April, 2000): 192-196.
- Richard B. Hays, First Corinthians. John Knox, 1997. In JETS (March, 2000): 152-153.
- Martin Hengel and Anna Maria Schwemer, Paul Between Damascus and Antioch: The Unknown Years. Westminster/John Knox, 1997. In JETS (March, 2000): 148-149.
- A. Scott Moreau, Essentials of Spiritual Warfare: Equipped to Win the Battle. Harold Shaw, 1997; and Clinton E. Arnold, Three Crucial Questions About Spiritual Warfare. Baker, 1997. In International Bulletin of Missionary Research (October, 1999): 180-182.
- David A. deSilva, Despising Shame: Honor Discourse and Community Maintenance in the Epistle to the Hebrews. Scholars, 1995. In JETS (March, 1999): 161-163.
- Gregory A. Boyd, God at War: The Bible in Spiritual Conflict. Inter-Varsity, 1997. In Faith and Mission (Fall 1998): 151-153.
- Andreas Kostenberger, The Missions of Jesus and the Disciples According to the Fourth Gospel. Eerdmans, 1998. In EMQ (October, 1998): 484-486.
- Peter Stuhlmacher, Paul’s Letter to the Romans. Westminster/John Knox, 1994. In JETS (December, 1996): 664-666.
- Joseph A. Fitzmyer, Romans. Doubleday, 1993. In JETS (December, 1995): 614-617.