Larry E. Dixon
Dr. Dixon joined the faculty of CIU’s Seminary & School of Ministry in 1997 and has taught Systematic Theology from that date until the present. Before coming to Columbia, he taught at Northeastern Bible College from 1986 until 1988 and served as professor of biblical and theological studies at Providence College in Manitoba, Canada from 1988 until 1996. He also served in Germany with International Teams. He is a frequent speaker at conferences, camps, retreats, and seminars. His books include Heaven, The Other Side of the Good News, and When Temptation Strikes.
- The Other Side of the Good News: Confronting Contemporary Challenges to Jesus’ Teaching on Hell. Christian Focus reprint. (2003)
- Heaven: Thinking Now about Forever. Christian Publications (2002).
- DocDevos: Ten-Minute Daily Devotionals on the Great Doctrines of the Christian Faith. Christian Publications. (2002)
- DocTalk: A Fairly Serious Survey of All That Theological Stuff. Christian Focus. (2002).
- DocWalk: Putting into Practice What You Say You Believe. Christian Focus. (2005).
- When Temptation Strikes: Gaining Victory Over Sin. Christian Literature Crusade. (2008).
- Farewell, Rob Bell: A Biblical Response to Love Wins and What We Talk about When We Talk about God. CreateSpace. (2013).
- Whatever Happened to Heresy? CreateSpace. (2013)
- Abandon All Hope: A Novel. CreateSpace (2013).
- Working Out Your Own . . . Faith Workbooks (self-published. 2012): First Things First; The B-I-B-L-E; Simply God; The Son of God; The Forgotten God
- Chapter on Adolph Harnack in Historians of the Christian Tradition edited by Michael Bauman and Martin Klauber (B&H Publishing, 1998).
- Chapter on the Holy Spirit in Understanding the Trinity edited by John H. Fish III (ECS Ministries), 2006.
Published Periodical Articles, Essays, Dictionary Entries:
- “Angels: They’re Not What You Think” in “Reach Out, Columbia” Magazine, 2012.
- “Warning a Wrath-Deserving World: Evangelicals and the Overhaul of Hell,” The Emmaus Journal, 2:7-21, Summer 1993.
- “Back to the Basics: A Fairly Serious Survey of the Fundamentals of the Faith,” The Emmaus Journal, 7:241-253, Winter 1998.
- “Learning to Listen: The Absolute Need for an Absolute Authority,” The Emmaus Journal, 8:79-89, Summer 1999.
- “Will the Real Jesus Stand Up?: The Doctrine of the Person and Work of Christ,” The Emmaus Journal, 8:165-180, Winter 1999.
- “What a Mighty God We Serve: The Doctrine of God,” The Emmaus Journal, 9:37-72, Summer 2000.
- “What is Man? The Doctrine of the Human Being,” The Emmaus Journal, 9:155-169, Winter 2000.
- “The Doctrine of Sin,” The Emmaus Journal, 10:91-104, Summer 2001.
- “The Doctrine of Salvation,” The Emmaus Journal, 10:199-226, Winter 2001.
- The ‘Shy’ Member of the Trinity: The Holy Spirit,” The Emmaus Journal, 11:289-298, Winter 2002.
- “The Doctrine of Angels,” The Emmaus Journal, 11:79-86, Summer 2002.
- “The Doctrine of the Church,” The Emmaus Journal, 13:239-260, Winter 2004.
- “The Other Comforter: The Place of the Holy Spirit in the Trinity,” The Emmaus Journal, 13:73-119, Summer 2004.
- “Whatever Happened to Heresy? Heroes or Heretics?—Two Classic Examples,” The Emmaus Journal, 18:193-205, Winter 2009.
- “Whatever Happened to Heresy?” The Emmaus Journal, 18:63-69, Summer 2009.
- “Whatever Happened to Heresy?” A Biblical Approach to Dealing with Heretics,” The Emmaus Journal, 19:65-67, Winter 2010.
- “Whatever Happened to Heresy?”, Part 4, “Help! One of My Friends and Some of His Friends Seem to Be, How Shall I Say it? Uh, Heretics,” The Emmaus Journal, 19:211-222, Summer 2010.
Published Book Reviews:
- “Five by McLaren: A Narrative Review Article of Five Books by Brian McLaren,” The Emmaus Journal,14:217-271, Winter 2005.
- “A Review of Three Books on Eternal Lostness,” The Emmaus Journal, 20:213-230, Winter 2011.
- “Love Wins—or Jesus Rescues? A Review Article of Rob Bell’s Book,” The Emmaus Journal, 19:95-109, Winter 2010.
- Review of “Love Wins” in “Reach Out, Columbia” Magazine 2012.
- “Agreeing with Pagans: Paul’s Consequent Nihilism in I Corinthians 15:32,” a paper presented at the ETS conference, November 18, 1989, San Diego, CA.
- “Making Theology Fun,” a paper presented at the ETS Regional Conference, Bethel Seminary, 1990, Minneapolis, MN.
- "Warning a wrath-deserving world : evangelicals and the overhaul of hell," paper presented at the 44th annual conference of the Evangelical Theological Society; November 19-21, 1992; San Francisco, CA.
- “‘Questions, Anyone?’” The Interrogatory Method of Jesus,” A Paper Presented to the Evangelical Theological Society, November 19, 2003; Atlanta, GA.
- Plenary sessions at “Iron Sharpens Iron” conference, Emmaus Bible College: “The Holy Spirit: The Shy Member of the Trinity” (2002); “The Challenge of a Changing Culture” (2006); “The Challenge of the Emergent Church” (2006); “Caring for the Unsaved” (2007)