Accounting Specialist and Cashier
The Accounting Specialist and Cashier is responsible for the day-to-day receipting and customer service needs of the students, faculty, and staff of Columbia International University.
- Provide front-line customer service to all accounting department visitors, internal and external.
- Assist students and parents with questions pertaining to the student account.
- Maintain a good working relationship with Financial Aid, Registrar, and Student Life to better assist students with questions and concerns.
- Manage student accounts receivable process. Receipt payments made to CIU for tuition, miscellaneous payments, and fees.
- Review and post all journal entries from online student payment portal.
- Monitor student payment plan accounts, apply online payments, contact students who have underpaid/overpaid and adjust accounts as necessary. Assist with Administrative Payment Plans.
- Assist with calling and emailing students/parents regarding balances due.
- Assist with Ram Ready statement preparation and orientation/check-in process.
- Provide weekly student balance updates to departments (Registrar, Athletics) as required by Student Accounts Supervisor
- Receive, verify, and receipt departmental income.
- Disburse annual/short term petty cash to CIU and Ben Lippen departments with proper documentation and quarterly audit of annual petty cash holders. Reconcile annual petty cash at the end the fiscal year.
- Monitor accounting department mailbox and answer all emails within 24 hours.
- Maintain student accounting website on the school’s intranet.
- Close daily activity; balance cash to General Ledger, prepare and make remote bank deposit, reconcile daily journals from online student payment portal, and post each day’s activity in coordination with the Student Accounts Supervisor.
- Assist with recording of gift income as it is submitted to Accounting.
- Handle office management issues for Accounting Department (i.e. order supplies, luncheon plans, professional development scheduling)
- Assist with 1098-T review and process.
- Assist with reconciliation of minor bank accounts.
- Assist with other duties/special projects (Registration, Audit, and Accounts Payable) as assigned.
- Must have general knowledge of accounting procedures
- Proficient in Excel, Word, Outlook, and Jenzabar EX software
- Must have excellent oral and written communications skills
- Must demonstrate people skills to work effectively with students, parents, co-workers, and the general public, exhibiting customer focus and initiative
- Must be able to multi-task and complete responsibilities independently with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Must be capable of meeting deadlines
- Must be goal oriented
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or equivalent experience
- Minimum of a year in related job
BLS/CIU provides a benefits package that includes:
- 100% of employee’s cost of membership in the Health Plan;
- 401(k) plan with match opportunity;
- 100% of employee’s cost of group life insurance;
- Long term disability insurance;
- Vacation days, holidays, sick leave, family leave;
- Educational benefits: tuition reduction for PreK3-Graduate
Interested and qualified candidates will complete the CIU Employment Application.
CIU Employment Application CIU Online Studies Adjunct Application Resident Adjunct for the School of Business and Professional Studies Application Resident Adjunct for the College of Arts and Sciences Application
Supplemental Form and Instructions
CIU faculty positions will need to submit a curriculum vitae (CV). Once you have completed your online application, you will have an opportunity to submit a cover letter and resume.
If you are applying for a Ben Lippen position and are unable to download the Ben Lippen application, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 1-800-777-2227 ext. 5009.