Master of Arts in Counseling
The Master of Arts in Counseling (M.A. in Counseling) program is designed to facilitate the growth of Christian students into well-qualified, healthy clinical mental health counselors.
The training model focuses on the heart (personal and spiritual development), the head (professional knowledge and research), and the hands (effective interpersonal and clinical skills).
CIU is the only Christian university in South Carolina with a CACREP-accredited master's degree program in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.
Columbia International University – College of Counseling has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 4556. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. CIU – College of Counseling is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Clinical Counseling Program Outcomes
- Number of graduates in 2020: 15
- Completion rate: 71%
- Licensure or certification examination pass rate: 100%
- Job placement rate of students/graduates: 100%
Career and Ministry Opportunities for Counseling Graduates
Our graduates are working in the following areas:
- Christian marriage counseling
- Counseling centers in churches and in private practice
- Drug and alcohol addiction programs
- Academia: universities, public and private schools
- Mental health facilities and hospitals
- Doctoral studies
Master of Arts in Counseling Admission Requirements
- Completed application
- $25 application fee
- Official transcripts for highest earned degree and any master’s degree work
- Professional/Professor reference
- Application Essay (800 words total, typed)
- A GPA of 3.0 or higher