Master of Arts in Addictions Counseling
The M.A. in Addictions Counseling provides graduates with general counseling knowledge and skills along with specialized knowledge and skills in addictions counseling that would lead to licensure as an addictions counselor in SC and other states.
What You'll Learn
Upon completion of the program, students will demonstrate the ability to
- Assess and diagnose addictive behaviors.
- Use effectively evidence-based treatments for a wide array of addictive behaviors.
- Create effective treatment and relapse prevention plans
- Create and maintain an addictions counseling practice that follows the legal requirements for record keeping, confidentiality, and other professional standards.
- Assess for the presence of co-occurring mental and emotional disorders and integrate their treatment with treatment for addictive behaviors.
Why Earn Your Degree at CIU Online
A Christian counseling component runs throughout the program. The proposed design introduces a trauma course that is not often included in the curriculum but is essential, since trauma is often foundational to substance use disorder. The proposed program is grounded in evidence-based interventions with mention of other peer led programs, such as AA, NA, SA, OA, Celebrate Recovery, etc.
Career and Ministry Opportunities for Addictions Counseling Graduates
Professional uses of the program include:
- Outpatient care centers
- Mental health and substance abuse facilities
- Individual and family services
- Veteran’s Affairs hospitals and clinics
- Psychiatric and substance abuse hospitals and private practice
- Probation and parole agencies
- Juvenile detention facilities
- Social service agencies
- General medical and surgical hospitals
- Halfway houses
- Detox centers
- Employee assistance programs
- School systems
- Centers for counseling the elderly, children, and families
Master of Arts in Addictions Counseling Admission Requirements
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution
- Cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0
- An online interview
- Professional Reference