CIU offers an online Education Specialist (EdS) degree program which is intended to help extend professional understanding and practice in the critical area of education. Students will develop capacities to think, communicate, and model biblical excellence in educational leadership positions. The EdS degree program is comprised of 30 hours of doctoral level courses but does not include the research component associated with the Doctor of Philosophy.
What You’ll Learn
Candidates will understand, analyze, synthesize, and evaluate:
- Education from a biblical perspective, foundational theories, and research findings.
- High-quality educational leadership from a biblical perspective, theoretical approaches, research findings, and alternative models of effective leadership and functioning of organizations, groups, and individuals within organizations.
- Ways to enhance their personal callings and contribute to the quality of an educational setting through leadership, presentation, and publication.
Why Earn a Degree at CIU Online?
CIU is well known for educational studies and has numerous alumni in places of leadership in K-12 schools, colleges, and universities, as well as for-profit and non-profit organizations worldwide. Studying educational leadership at CIU online provides you with a rich, diverse global learning experience. The program of study is geared for working adults and educational leaders who will be equipped to put into practice what they are learning. Coursework is taught from a biblical worldview as professors regularly integrate faith and learning.
Career and Ministry Opportunities for Education Specialist Graduates
- K-12 Schools: Positively impact students, their families, faculty and staff in a public or private school setting in the United States or abroad in various leadership roles such as principal, dean or superintendent.
- Leadership Positions in Colleges or Universities: Provide effective and informed leadership in decision-making roles such as dean, vice president or president at a college or university.
- Academic Careers: Lead at various levels in educational organizations, teach at the college level, or continue educational research in your field of interest.
Education Specialist Admission Requirements
- Completed application
- $25 application fee
- Official transcripts for highest earned graduate degree and any additional graduate degree work
- Minimum 3.2 GPA for entering credential
- Two general references
- Letter of evaluation (Graduate professor verifying ability to do doctoral level work)
- Academic writing sample (Published article or graduate research paper)
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae