Complete your Master of Arts in Teaching English as a Foreign Language/ Intercultural Studies degree fully online.
A Master of Arts in Teaching English as a Foreign Language/Intercultural Studies (TEFL/ICS) prepares professional teachers of English as a foreign language with the knowledge and skills necessary to teach both children and adults effectively in a wide variety of cross-cultural settings. You'll be prepared for leadership roles in TEFL and for living and teaching in another country or culture.
What You’ll Learn
The program provides you with a focused knowledge of the SLA theories and techniques needed to teach English to speakers of other languages.
The M.A. in TEFL/ICS will equip you to:
- Understand the major concepts of linguistics and English syntax.
- Apply knowledge of linguistics and Second Language Acquisition (SLA) theory to practical classroom instruction.
- Develop appropriate curriculum for all ages and levels of English language learners (ELLs).
- Demonstrate the integrity and quality of Christian educators.
- Assess all areas of language skills for the purpose of proficiency, placement, and achievement testing.
- Teach listening, speaking, reading, and writing at all levels of proficiency.
- Understand the dynamic cultural forces which affect teaching and ministry.
How Long It Will Take
Depending on your academic background, 1.5 to 2 years
What Can I Do with This Degree?
Whether you’re seeking to enhance a teaching career you already have or switch career paths, a TEFL/ICS degree can help you reach your goals.
Graduates are teaching and administering English language programs in many parts of the world, including North and South America, East and Central Asia, the Middle East, and Europe. Some serve in free-standing English language programs and others in universities. The worldwide demand for English teachers continues to grow; graduates with this degree will find many opportunities to teach all over the world.
Already involved in cross-cultural ministry? The TEFL program provides you with an additional avenue for outreach. You’ll learn basic foreign language teaching theories and skills and gain an understanding of how language works as you prepare to teach English to speakers of other languages.
Why Earn a TEFL/ICS Degree at CIU Online?
The ability to speak English is in demand around the world. People understand that they can travel, study and work abroad more easily if they can speak English. That’s where you come in. The Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) program at CIU develops the knowledge and skills necessary to teach English as a second or foreign language in a wide variety of cross-cultural and educational settings. Distinctive aspects of CIU’s TEFL program are:
- Highly engaged, practical online classes with students from all over the world
- Multilingual professors who have lived and taught in a wide variety of educational settings
- Faculty and staff who are dedicated to getting to know you and providing both academic and spiritual support and guidance
- Internship and research opportunities built into the curriculum
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE YOU APPLY
- Online application
- $25 application fee
- Applicants must have an accredited bachelor's degree
- Official college transcripts of all work completed or in progress.
- An essay
- Church leader reference
- Signed Doctrinal Statement
- 2.5 GPA in undergraduate study or scores above the 50th percentile on the GRE
Program Options That Fit Your Experience Level
We offer two program tracks: one for students with no previous studies in Bible or theology, and one for students who have at least 15 semester credit hours of Bible, theology, or Church history