The English major contributes to students’ intellectual and spiritual formation via reading, writing, and critical thinking, prepares them academically for graduate studies (particularly in English language and literature), and equips them for effective use of the written word in mission and marketplace ministries.
The English major equips students to:
- Analyze literary characteristics of written works from a variety of eras of the English language.
- Write with clarity and persuasive ability on literary works and other topics.
- Research literary works and criticism of these works, utilizing the full range of academic library resources.
- Relate the writings of authors to the context in which they were written and being read.
- Engage with theories of literary criticism in a way that also reflects the careful practice of hermeneutics.
Get started today.
- Teach English in other countries: The degree’s combination of literature, education and TEFL courses uniquely prepares students to teach English with excellence and understanding, a practical and exciting ability in a world where English is in much demand. Many jobs are available at schools seeking well trained English teachers with a bachelor’s degree and training in TEFL.
- Pursue graduate studies: Students with an English Major can pursue graduate studies in English, Linguistics, or Education and find many pre-requisites met by the program’s requirements.
- Teach English in the United States: Due to changing demographics, school districts and places of employment need to prepare non-native English speakers with greater fluency. Although most teaching positions will require further training, many opportunities exist for those trained and willing to serve with excellence.
English Minor Program Coordinator
B.A., Taylor University; M.A., Indiana University; Ph.D. Candidate, University of South CarolinaRead More...
TEFL Minor Program Coordinator
B.A., Crown College; M.A., M.Div. Columbia International UniversityRead More...
Applied English Program Coordinator
B.A., University of South Carolina; M.A., Columbia International University; additional graduate studies, University of South CarolinaRead More...