Background Image
Table of Contents Table of Contents
Previous Page  199 / 292 Next Page
Show Menu
Previous Page 199 / 292 Next Page
Page Background



New students receive instructions on the registration process and guidance concerning a course of study from a faculty

advisor prior to registering. For returning students, registration materials are available online during the posted pre-

registration period and at the beginning of each term. All financial obligations of the preceding semester must be met before

the student may register for another term.

Residence Requirements


Associate degree students, regardless of previous undergraduate credits earned, are required to

complete a minimum of 15 semester hours of coursework at CIU. Bachelor degree students, regardless of previous

undergraduate credits earned, are required to complete a minimum of 30 semester hours of coursework through CIU. While

no statutes of limitations for undergraduate degree completion exists, CIU requires that the final 15 semester hours of

coursework must be CIU credits unless defined otherwise in a cooperative program.


A majority of credits toward a graduate degree must be earned at either CIU or a CIU site. SSM programs*

permit a maximum of 2/3 of the degree to be earned through online courses. (This limit also applies when two degrees are

earned concurrently.)

* M.A. (Theological Studies), Bible and Theology Certificate, and the Biblical Ministry Certificate are exempt from this


Standardized Testing


: All standardized testing must be completed within one calendar year of a student’s matriculation to

CIU. CLEP and DANTES credit must be earned prior to the student’s graduating semester. For additional information

regarding Advanced Placement Exams (AP Exams), Foreign Language Proficiency Testing Program, College Level

Examination Program (CLEP), and DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST), see the “Standardized Test Acceptance

and Test Score Criteria” available from the Office of the University Registrar.



CoE, CICS, SSM Clinical Counseling: Standardized test credit can be utilized to satisfy prerequisite requirements for

graduate-level programs if documented on the student’s undergraduate transcript. Scores of 3-5 on AP courses, a score

of 50 on the CLEP or 55 on the DANTES examinations can be credited to satisfy M.A. in Counseling, M.A. in Teaching,

and Master of Education undergraduate prerequisites. Standardized test credit is not accepted for SSM graduate-level


Student Assessment for Institutional Improvement

In order to assess and improve our academic programs, periodic measurements of student perceptions and intellectual

growth must be obtained. Students may be required to participate in one or more evaluative procedures, including

examinations in general academic development and/or a major field of study. Data obtained through evaluative

measurements are collected and used solely to improve the quality of the educational experience of future students.

Suspension (See “Probation” in the Student Life Section of this Catalog)


Official transcripts are maintained by the Office of the University Registrar. Students must provide written authorization for

the release of transcripts, even to themselves. Transcript requests and payment are made online at .

Unofficial transcripts can be printed by current students at CIU Online with no

associated cost.

Transfer Credit

Applicants who have completed work in an institution that is accredited regionally or nationally (CHEA recognized) may

receive transfer credit for courses in which they received a grade of “C” (2.0) or above. Transfer credit may apply to a

student’s program at CIU in one of the following ways:

Courses that are parallel to required courses in the curriculum of the student’s program may be received as

meeting the requirement.

Courses that do not parallel any required course may be received as elective credit up to the limit of electives

for the particular program in which the student enrolls.

To obtain an estimate of transfer credit, applicants must submit transcripts for postsecondary study, an application for

admission, and a request for a transcript assessment. The Office of the University Registrar will provide an initial assessment

of transfer credit, but a final assignment will be applied at matriculation. After matriculation, requests for transfer credit must

be approved by academic petition by the student’s advisor and dean.