The Dean of Students provides strategic vision and leadership to a comprehensive student development program, including spiritual formation (chapel and campus spiritual development) and student services (housing and resident life, campus activities, health services, student center, new student orientation, intramural and extramural sports) that helps accomplish the institution’s spiritual, academic, and social objectives for students with a special focus on spiritual formation and total life training. Serving as a strong advocate for students and student leadership development, the Dean of Students will articulate a clear vision for the importance of student development within the campus structure.
- Work with the Executive Vice President and higher education leadership team, associate deans, and faculty to articulate and implement a comprehensive philosophy of student life for both traditional and non-traditional students.
- Implement and oversee policies, procedures and activities for CIU Student Development that are in keeping with the comprehensive philosophy of Columbia International University.
- Provide leadership and direction to the associate deans and other professional Student Development staff, helping them implement and achieve the institution’s objectives for students and assisting with conflict resolution as necessary.
- Serve as an advocate for students and student leaders and help articulate the vision for Student Development within the campus structure through participation in faculty meetings and other relevant administrative committees and processes.
- Work to provide for appropriate pastoral and professional counseling services and to administer a restorative system of student discipline.
- In consultation with the Director of Institutional Research and others, devise and implement a comprehensive program of systematic assessment and planning for all student services programs and activities.
- Provide vision and leadership for CIU’s chapel program.
- Provide vision and leadership for new student orientation, student activities, intramural sports and health services.
- Counsel, disciple, and advise students and student leaders and provide instruction in classroom and chapel settings, as appropriate.
- Lead in the preparation and management of Student Development budgets.
- Manage the performance and Student Development staff.
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to CIU’s biblical and community life and doctrinal standards, mission and educational goals.
- Proven ability to lead and manage a comprehensive student development services program.
- Strong evidence of the requisite communication, interpersonal and collaborative skills in working with students, families, staff, faculty and administrators.
- Proven understanding of student development and an ability to articulate a clear vision for the role of student life in a Christian university.
- Excellent problem-solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated ability in successfully managing multiple staff and budgets.
- Proven ability to counsel and advise students from a biblical perspective.
- Demonstrated public speaking and classroom teaching skill.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field
- At least five years of related experience
- Post-secondary education and training in biblical theological/ministry studies and/or student development highly desirable.
CIU provides a benefits package that includes:
● 100% of employee’s cost of membership in the Health Plan;
● 401(k) plan with match opportunity;
● 100% of employee’s cost of group life insurance;
● Long term disability insurance;
● Vacation days, holidays, sick leave, family leave;
● Educational benefits are available.