The Christian Service Learning (CSL) Director oversees CIU’s Christian Service Learning experience, a non-credit ministry experience primarily for freshmen and sophomores. Students in CSL are required to attend a local church and serve in that church or in the community. The CSL Director also serves as a faculty member in the College of Arts and Sciences.
• Develop and implement a comprehensive philosophy for Christian Service Learning at CIU
• Provide oversight and leadership for all aspects of CIU’s CSL program
• Actively engage with churches and other community organizations to develop service opportunities
• Connect CIU students with approved CSL opportunities
• Supervise and utilize administrative and/or student assistants
• Teach two undergraduate courses per year as assigned, usually in the area of spiritual formation
• Interact with the Student Development office as appropriate to integrate Christian Service into the student experience at CIU
• Serve on committees as assigned
• Attend all faculty meetings at the college and university level, and other appropriate events including chapel, conferences, prayer sessions, etc.
• Thorough understanding of basic ministry skills and the experiential process by which students gain basic ministry competency.
• Creative thinker: Adaptable to new ministry trends and strategies, particularly as associated with traditional college age students (e.g. evangelism, personal discipleship, and church relations).
• Able to educate, encourage, and motivate students to serve, and to counsel them regarding ministry challenges.
• Commitment to the mission and vision of CIU.
• Ability to organize and oversee CIU’s annual church fair.
• Ability to partner and work with churches and organizations to provide service sites.
• Ability to help students discover their spiritual gifts.
• Ability to teach effectively at the college level.
• Hold a minimum of a masters degree in a ministry-related discipline from an accredited institution.
• Capable and committed to ongoing professional training/education as appropriate.
• Experienced in local church ministry and/or college Christian Service programs.
• Minimum of 3 years experience at the college level preferred.
• Multicultural and/or international experience along with a basic understanding of cultural variances in ministry desired.
• Blend of people-orientation and task-orientation.
• Is experienced and comfortable with computers and Microsoft Office.
CIU provides a benefits package that includes:
● 100% of employee’s cost of membership in the Health Plan;
● 401(k) plan with match opportunity;
● 100% of employee’s cost of group life insurance;
● Long term disability insurance;
● Vacation days, holidays, sick leave, family leave;
● Educational benefits are available.