As instructional designer, this person is a key member of the Online Studies Instructional Design group that creates and maintains well-designed Canvas course sites to support online instruction at CIU. The designer is responsible for making requested changes in content and layout, utilizing companion software to enhance course sites, and assisting with access issues that occasionally arise. As assistant to the Associate Provost (AP), this person will serve the AP by maintaining schedules, assisting with the technical details of meetings (often using Zoom), and helping with other needs of the AP as they arise. This person will greet those meeting face-to-face with the AP and attend to their needs.
- Edit prescribed layout of Canvas courses as requested to improve navigation and support instruction.
- Review online course regularly for quality (correct content, layout, ease of navigation, working links, etc.) and alert Online Studies Instructional Design group members to quality-related issues.
- Maintain course site templates and procedures for review and approval.
- Support online course development schedule through editing efficiently and communicating effectively with colleagues and other stakeholders.
- Utilize Respondus and other companion software programs that integrate with Canvas to support instruction.
- Integrate textbook publisher access codes with Canvas and provide support for faculty and student access, as needed.
- Assist the Associate Provost with scheduling meetings, appointments and other services provided to online personnel and students
- Contribute to a welcoming, collaborative environment in Online Studies and perform clerical duties as needed by the Associate Provost
• At least 3 years experience in technical writing, editing, education, or instructional design.
• Direct experience with Canvas, Blackboard, or other online platforms.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Docs.
• Familiarity with Internet-based conferencing.
• Previous teaching experience preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree required, preferably with emphasis in education, technology, or instructional design.
CIU provides a benefits package that includes:
● 100% of employee’s cost of membership in the Health Plan;
● 401(k) plan with match opportunity;
● 100% of employee’s cost of group life insurance;
● Long term disability insurance;
● Vacation days, holidays, sick leave, family leave;
● Educational benefits are available.