This Biology Faculty provides academic support for CIU’s biology minor, as well as CIU’s general education core. The faculty member will instruct and advise biology minors and collaborate with other faculty in administering goals, program development, and program activities. Teaching load is 24 semester hours annually.
• Provide support for the biology minor and general education core
• Teach up to eight (8) college level courses per year (24 semester hours) across the fields of general biology, microbiology, genetics, and biochemistry
• Advise students within the biology minor as needed
• Interact with prospective students as needed
• Endorse and model professional standards and proficiencies
• Serve on committees as assigned within the university
• Assist regularly with assessment of CIU’s science curriculum
• Participate in faculty meetings at the college and university level; attend other appropriate events including chapel, conferences, and student events
• Yearly affirm the institution’s mission, doctrinal position, community standards, and CIU’s position on human origins (Faculty Guide)
• Experience teaching college biology and related courses.
• Knowledge of the disciplines associated with biology, including pedagogy, information literacy, and research.
• Ability to teach effectively at the college level.
• Competency in utilizing learning management tools and classroom technology.
• Competent in or able to learn and facilitate online education.
• Ability to use technology effectively in teaching as appropriate.
• An understanding of the needs and trends associated with traditional college age students.
• Commitment to CIU’s mission and vision.
• Commitment to live within the standards of the CIU community.
• Minimum master’s degree in biology from an accredited university; an earned doctorate (PhD or equivalent) in biology is preferred.
• Completion of some graduate level coursework in related disciplines (chemistry, physics) is preferred.
• Preference is given to individuals with at least three years of experience teaching at the college level.
CIU provides a benefits package that includes:
- 100% of employee’s cost of membership in the Health Plan;
- 401(k) plan with match opportunity;
- 100% of employee’s cost of group life insurance;
- Long term disability insurance;
- Vacation days, holidays, sick leave, family leave;
- Educational benefits: tuition reduction for PreK3-Graduate
Interested and qualified candidates will complete the CIU Employment Application on this site.