This position provides regular and substantial support for CIU’s First Year English program as well as the English major. The faculty member will instruct and advise English majors and collaborate with English faculty in administering goals, program development, and program activities. Teaching load is 24 semester hours annually.
• Provide support for the English program, particularly First Year English (FYE) instruction
• Advise students within the English major
• Interact with prospective students as appropriate
• Endorse and model professional standards and proficiencies
• Teach up to eight (8) college level courses per year (24 semester hours)
• Serve on committees as assigned within the university
• Assist in training students via internships and practicum experiences as appropriate
• Assist regularly with assessment of FYE and English major programs
• Participate in faculty meetings at the college and university level; attend other appropriate events including chapel, conferences, and student events
• Yearly affirm the institution’s mission, doctrinal position, and community standards
• Experience teaching introductory college composition courses
• Knowledge of the disciplines associated with writing instruction pedagogy, information literacy, and research
• Commitment to preparing English majors with solid skills in reading, writing, and critical thinking
• Ability to teach effectively at the college level
• Competency in utilizing learning management tools and classroom technology
• Competent in or able to learn and facilitate online education
• Ability to use technology effectively in teaching as appropriate
• An understanding of the needs and trends associated with traditional college age students
• Commitment to CIU’s mission and vision
• Commitment to live within the standards of the CIU community
• Minimum master’s degree in English or related field from an accredited university; an earned doctorate (PhD or equivalent) in English and or/composition and rhetoric from an accredited university is preferred.
• Completion of some graduate level coursework in literature is preferred.
• Knowledge of content associated with advanced and/or professional writing courses is helpful.
• Preference is given to individuals with at least three years of experience teaching at the college level.
CIU provides a benefits package that includes:
● 100% of employee’s cost of membership in the Health Plan;
● 401(k) plan with match opportunity;
● 100% of employee’s cost of group life insurance;
● Long term disability insurance;
● Vacation days, holidays, sick leave, family leave;
● Educational benefits are available.