Military Transfer Students
CIU is proud to be consistently ranked among the most military-friendly institutions of higher learning in the nation. Military transfer applicants complete the same application as non-transfer students.
Columbia International University offers veterans and their eligible spouses educational benefits in the form of a tuition discount. These are available to both online undergraduate and online and residential graduate veterans, active duty service members and their eligible spouses who are pursuing a certificate or degree program and are in good academic standing. Students receiving Tuition Assistance or Full VA Education Benefits may not be eligible. A military discount rate of $250 per credit hour will be awarded once the student has been deemed eligible and is registered for courses for the semester. The military discount does not apply to the doctoral level programs. Other discounts or scholarships cannot be applied.
- Credit is awarded based on the official transcript from the military.
- ACE recommendation must be submitted for the course.
- Military credit is designated as upper or lower division by ACE.
Courses Eligible for College Transfer
- In order to receive full credit for a course, the course must be completed at a college/university accredited by or having candidate status with a Regional Accrediting Organization, ABHE, TRACS, or other accrediting agency recognized by the American Council on Education (USDE).
- Courses must be submitted on an official transcript.
- Courses must be college-level.
- The student must have an earned grade of C or above. (Note: A grade of S or P may not constitute a C or better.)
- A two-hour course can meet the requirement of a three-hour course, but the student must make up the additional hour.
Courses Eligible for Graduate-Level Transfer
- Courses must be earned at the master’s level. Bachelor’s-level courses may serve to meet prerequisites only.
- Courses must be earned at an accredited institution with a grade of C or above.
- The courses must fit into your program choice at CIU.
Complex Transfer Situations
Decisions are made by the associate provost. At the graduate level, decisions are made by the academic dean of each college.
Transfer Policies PDF Download
Download a PDF of CIU’s transfer policy.