Bachelor of Arts in English
Why Study English at CIU?
If you look into the educational backgrounds of many corporate CEOs, you will discover that many of these men and women began their careers with a degree in English. That’s because English majors can do exactly what employers need and value: read and analyze texts, communicate effectively in writing, think critically and independently, and use research properly. Studying the English language equips graduates for effective use of the written word in mission and marketplace ministries.
At CIU we add one more important skill: we help English majors filter what they learn and experience in the classroom through a biblical world lens.
Your career prospects as an English major are exciting, broad, and diverse. A degree in English can lead you to employment in many fields, such as:
- grant writing
- public relations
- administration and
- teaching English as a foreign language.
A degree in English can also prepare you for further studies. Many of our graduates decide to
- pursue additional studies in English on the graduate level
- pursue a degree in library science
- enter law school
- gain certification as a high school English teacher in a public school
- take classes toward certification with the Association of Christian Schools International (ASCI) to teach English in a private Christian school.
Additional Program Opportunities are available for those who would like to earn a minor in English or a minor in Writing.