Minor in Biology
Purpose and Objectives
For those who desire to obtain a basic understanding of the Bible, the principles of Bible interpretation, and essential skills and background. Many students continue their education in other academic and professional fields.
- Evidence of a basic understanding of the Bible's content
- Utilize correctly standard principles of Bible interpretation
- Demonstrate a meaningful engagement with a local church
- A minimum 60 total semester hours of credit.
- A minimum 12 semester hours of Bible/theology.
- A minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA at the time of graduation.
- Complete 80 clock hours of Christian Service Learning.
- Residence requirement: Complete a minimum of 15 semester hours of coursework through CIU.
- Satisfactory evidence of sound Christian character and doctrinal views. A student will not be accepted as a candidate for a degree who denies any of the doctrines as stated in the Doctrinal Standard, who affirms error in Scripture, or who believes in the ultimate salvation of all people. (Exception: A candidate does not have to affirm the premillennial position expressed in section 8 of the Doctrinal Standard.)
- Read the Bible in its entirety at least once during time at CIU. This reading may be done in conjunction with class assignments. Bible reading completed in conjunction with courses transferred in from another school is accepted.
Due to the unique nature of the A.A. program at Kirkland, Prison Initiative students may earn the necessary fifteen (15) hours of General Education by taking any of the general education courses listed as part of the Undergraduate Core or ICS 3140 Cultural Anthropology; SOC 3740 Marriage and Family; or HIS 3110 History of the Christian Church.
Biology Required Courses
Course of Study (21)
- BIO 1110 - Principles of Biology 1 Credits: 3
- BIO 2113 - Principles of Biology Credits: 3
- BIO 1111 - Principles of Biology 1 Laboratory Credits: 1
- BIO 1120 - Principles of Biology 2 Credits: 3
- BIO 1121 - Principles of Biology 2 Laboratory Credits: 1
- BIO 3110 - Principles of Microbiology Credits: 3
- BIO 3111 - Principles of Microbiology Laboratory Credits: 1
Choose 3 of the following 4 courses:
- BIO 3210 - Fundamental Genetics Credits: 3
- BIO 3215 - Molecular and General Genetics Credits: 3
- BIO 3310 - Essential Principles of Biochemistry Credits: 3
- BIO 3410 - Molecular Biochemistry Credits: 3
In pursuing the Biology Minor, the General Education Science will need to be met with a Science course beyond one of the courses listed above.