Brian P. Gault
B.A., Cedarville University; M.Th., Dallas Theological Seminary; M.A., Ph.D., Hebrew Union College – Jewish Institute of Religion
Dr. Brian Gault joined the faculty of CIU’s Seminary & School of Ministry in 2012 and has taught Old Testament and Hebrew from that date until the present. Before coming to Columbia, he served as a children’s pastor and a small group leader. He is a member of the Evangelical Theological Society, where he serves on the steering committee for the Old Testament Wisdom Literature study group. He has written articles for several scholarly journals and is currently writing a monograph on the Song of Songs and a commentary on the book of Esther.
Esther. Kerux: An Integrative Commentary for Proclamation-Old Testament. [Under Contract]
- "Job’s Hope: Redeemer or Retribution?” Bibliotheca Sacra, 173 (2016) 148-66.
- “A ‘Do Not Disturb Sign’? Reexamining the Adjuration Refrain in Song of Songs,” Journal for the Study of the Old Testament, 36 (2011) 93-104.
- “The Fragments of Canticles from Qumran: Implications & Limitations for Interpretation,” Revue de Qumran, 95/24 (2010) 351-71.
- “An Admonition Against ‘Rousing Love’: The Meaning of the Enigmatic Refrain in Song of Songs.” Bulletin for Biblical Research, 20 (2010) 161-84
- “A Reexamination of ‘Eternity’ in Ecclesiastes 3:11.” Bibliotheca Sacra 165 (2008) 39-57.
- Review of Job (Baker Commentary on Old Testament Wisdom & Psalms) by Tremper Longman III in the Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, 56.4 (2013) 842-45.
- Review of Old Testmant Wisdom Literature: A Theological Introduction by Craig G. Bartholomew and Ryan P. O’Dowd in the Southeastern Theological Review, 4.2 (Winter 2013)
- Review of Song of Songs (Brazos Theological Commentary) by Paul J. Griffiths in the Southeastern Theological Review, 3.2 (Winter 2012) 273-74.
- “Job’s Hope: Redeemer or Retribution?” ETS National Meeting, 20 November 2014.
- “Is Her Door Open or Closed? Another Look at the Architectural Imagery in Song of Songs 8:8-10,” SBL Annual Meeting, 21 November 2011
- “The Garden of Delight in Song of Songs: Theological Allusion or Universal Archetype?” ETS National Meeting, 16 November 2011
- “The Fragments of Canticles from Qumran: Implications and Limitations for Interpretation,” ETS National Meeting, 18 November 2009.
- “An Oath of Chastity or A ‘Do Not Disturb’ Sign? Reexamining the Adjuration Refrain in the Song of Songs,” ETS National Meeting, 19 November 2008.
- “What Has God Placed in the Human Heart: An Exegetical Analysis of Ecclesiastes 3:11,” ETS National Meeting, 15 November 2006.
- “Avenging Husband and Redeeming Lover? Opposing Portraits of God in Hosea,” ETS Annual Meeting, 15 November 2016