David G. Cashin
Dr. Cashin is professor of intercultural studies in the College of Intercultural Studies at CIU. Previously, he lived in Sweden, where he served as pastor of two churches. He wrote and taught courses and seminars in Islamic history, theology, and Muslim-Christian relations. Then, for nine years, Dr. Cashin served in Bangladesh as missionary, church planter, educator, and development worker with SIM International. He has published several books and numerous articles in Islam and other subjects in English, Swedish, and Bengali.
Dr. Cashin and his wife, Margareta, reside in Columbia, SC. They have three married sons and nine grandchildren. He is an avid coin collector and fisherman and a regular swimmer at the “Y.”
- PhD, Stockholm University, Sweden
- MA, Stockholm University, Sweden
- MA, Dhaka University, Bangladesh
- BA, Gordon College
- The Seven Essential Questions of Life, CreateSpace, 2017.
- Muhammad and the People of the Book, XLibris, 2010.
- The Ocean of Love: Ali Raja's Agam and Jnan Sagara, Dhaka: Bangia Academy, 1994.
- The Ocean of Love: Middle Bengali Sufi Literature and the Fakirs of Bengal, Doctoral thesis, (Stockholm: The Association of Oriental Studies, Stockholm University), 1995.
- The Secret of the Blessing of Abraham, Bangladesh Correspondence School, Dhaka, 1986. Written and published in Bengali.
- Study Guide for the Blessing of Abraham, Bangladesh Correspondence School, 1987. Written and published in Bengali.
- "A False Picture of the Christian Faith", newspaper article in Eskilstuna Kuriren, Dec. 30, 1994. (in Swedish)
- "Finding Our Muslim Friends", Seeds of Promise, ed. Allan Starling, Pasadena: William Carey Library, 1981.
- "May I Question Your Faith?" Newspaper article in Eskilstuna Kuriren, Sept. 21, 1994. (in Swedish)
- "Nathist Folklore", Folklore in Bangladesh, Vol. 3, Dhaka: Bangia Academy, 1992.
- "Somali Peoples in Kenya", Unreached Peoples '80, ed. Edward Dayton and C. Peter Wagner, Chicago: David C. Cook, 1980.
- "Review of The Last Temptation of Christ", newspaper article in Eskilstuna Kuriren, April 13, 1994. (in Swedish)
- "The Status of Christianity and Islam in Iran", The Gospel and Islam, Don McCurry, ed., Monrovia: MARC Publications, 1978.
- "A Date to Remember", newspaper article in the State Newspaper, Columbia, SC, October 29, 2001.
- "Critical Study can Help Defuse Political Islam", article in the State Newspaper, Columbia, SC, October 12, 2001.
- "Roots That Go Deep", Stillpoint, Volume 17, Number 3, Summer, 2002.
Awards and Honors
- Yale University Faith in Life Award with grant money for ICS 6024 Understanding Cultures and Worldviews, 2005.
- Award for Excellence in Teaching, South Carolina Independent Schools and Colleges with grant money, 2016.