Dr. Scott joined the Graduate Counseling Program faculty of Columbia International University in 2019 as an Associate Professor. He teaches primarily in the Clinical Counseling program in areas of research and practice and is an active member and participant of the Christian Association for Psychological Studies (CAPS), American Association of Christian Counselors (AACC), and the American Counseling Association (ACA). He also maintains a private practice, Sunrise Counseling, for both clinical work and supervision in the community. Before joining CIU, he was a Professor of Counseling Psychology at Emmaus Bible College in Dubuque, Iowa from 2012-2019.
- PhD, Counselor Education & Supervision, Walden University
- MA, Community Counseling, Regent University
- BS, Biblical Studies & Intercultural Studies, Emmaus Bible College
- Scott, S. L. “Balancing Discipleship and Gatekeeping in Counselor Education.” In Review, Journal of Psychology & Christianity, 2020.
- Scott, S. L. (2019). Proclaiming Hope: The Critical Role for Faith-Based Schools in Counselor Education. Journal of Psychology & Christianity, 38(2).
- Scott, S. (2019). Students who succeed in college. In Emmaus Bible College’s (Ed.) College choice: A case for Christian higher education, pp. 20-22. Dubuque, IA: Emmaus Bible College.
- Teaching Emotional Regulation: Using a Reservoir and Dam Analogy for Skill-Building in Therapy.” In Review, Journal of Rational-Emotive & Cognitive-Behavior Therapy.
- Scott, S. L. (2018). Fractured therapists: the consequences of disintegrated functioning in faith and practice. Journal of Psychology & Christianity, 37(4), 305-312.
- Scott, S. L. (2018). The Necessity of Faculty Professional Identity for Students’ Spiritual Formation. The Biblical Higher Education Journal, XIV, 101-113.
- Scott, S. L. (2018). Academic role and professional identity development in counselor education (Order No. 10841313). Available from ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global. (2087776464).
- Scott, S. (2014). “Marriage and family.” Journey Magazine, XI (1), 14-15. Retrieved from http://www.emmaus.edu/journey
Awards and Honors
- South Carolina Licensed Professional Counselor & Supervisor, 2019
- Alumni Service Award, Emmaus Bible College, 2019
- Member, Omega Zeta chapter of Chi Sigma Iota Honor Society, 2016