Dr. Ginavra Gibson joined the Graduate Counseling Program faculty of Columbia International University in 2023 as an Associate Professor after serving as an adjunct faculty member since 2020. She teaches primarily in the Clinical Counseling program in areas of practical skill development such as Counseling Techniques, Advance Counseling Techniques and Practicum, and Internship 1 and 2. She also teaches the Multicultural Counseling Course. Prior to coming to CIU, she served at the SC Department of Mental Health in many leadership roles, including Program Director of Adult Clinic Services at Columbia Area Mental Health Center and Clinic Director of Adult Services at Lexington County Community Mental Health Center. She has extensive experience providing community crisis intervention and supervising community crisis teams. She is trained in TF-CBT, ASIST, Motivational Interviewing, REBT, and EMDR. She is also a certified DBT therapist. She is a Licensed Professional Counselor and a Licensed Professional Counselor Supervisor in South Carolina. She is an active member of local and national counseling associations, including the South Carolina Mental Health Counselor Association (SCCMHCA), the American Counseling Association (ACA), the Southern Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (SACES), the Association of Multicultural Counseling and Development (AMCD), and Counselors for Social Justice (CSJ). She maintains a private practice for clinical work, supervision, and training. Her research interests include minority counselor experiences, multicultural issues in supervision, best practices for training counselors in evidence-based practices, mentorship in counselor education, and qualitative methodology.
- Ph.D., Counselor Education and Supervision, The University of the Cumberlands
- Post-Graduate Certificate, Community Mental Health Policy and Practice, Northcentral University
- MA, Counseling, Columbia International University
- BS, Family and Church Education/Bible, Columbia International University
- Gibson, G. (2018). Managing and counseling clients in crisis. Lexington County Community Mental Health Center.
- Gibson, G., Tadlock, A., Guenther, N. (2018). What is DBT? Lexington County Mental Health Center.
- Gibson, G., Tadlock, N., Guenther, N. (2019). Introduction to DBT. SC Department of Mental Health Commission.
- Gibson, G., Bonfini, J. (2022). Addressing supervisee bias: How to overcome barriers and strengthen the supervisee alliance. University of the Cumberlands.
- Gibson, G. (2023). Navigating client microaggressions and expressions of discrimination in counseling. Columbia International University.
- Gibson, G. (2023). Addressing bias: How to promote cultural humility in supervision. Columbia International University.
Awards and Honors
- South Carolina Licensed Professional Counselor, 2015
- South Carolina Licensed Professional Counselor Supervisor, 2018
- Therapist of the Year Award, LCCMHC, 2018
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee Member at LCCMHC, 2021
- Member, Chi Psi Omega chapter of Chi Sigma Iota Honor Society, 2020
- Kappa Delta Pi Honor Society, 2022