What will you pray on the National Day of Prayer?
Professor Dr. Andre Rogers has some suggestions
May 7 is the National Day of Prayer. Will you participate? What will be your prayer that day?
Columbia International University Professor of Preaching Dr. Andre Rogers has a few powerful prayer suggestions that we can lift up to the Lord as a nation.
1. Pray for those experiencing sickness in our world. Pray especially for those in India and South America who are struggling with Covid-19. Pray for those who have HIV and their families, especially those in the hardest-hit countries of Sub-Saharan Africa, Asia, the Pacific, the Caribbean, and Eastern Europe. May God heal them spiritually and physically. “Yes, I will bless the Lord and not forget the glorious things he does for me. He forgives all my sins. He heals me.” (Psalm 103:2-3)
2. Pray for the people in countries at war: Afghanistan, Yemen, Syria, Mexico, Turkey, Somalia, and Iraq. Pray for peace. Pray that the fighters and the people impacted by the fighting will learn of God and receive the peace of God. “Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” (John 14:27)
3. Pray for Christians who are persecuted for their faith. Pray for those in Ethiopia who are losing their houses and property. Pray for the Christians in Nigeria who ran from their homes for safety and are now living in camps. Pray for Christians in Oman who have disappeared after declaring they were Christians. Pray for those in China who undergo police interrogations and other persecution because of their faith. Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (Matt 5:10-12)
4. Pray for people who are living in extreme poverty in countries such as South Sudan (82%), Madagascar (70%), Eritrea (69%), Burundi (65%), and Guatemala (59%). Defend the weak and the fatherless; uphold the cause of the poor and the oppressed. Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked. Psalm 82:3-4.
5. Pray for missionaries around the world who share the message of Christ in places we would dare not go and would prefer to avoid. And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the Gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!” Romans 10:15.