Associate of Arts in Human Services
Ready for a career in Human Services? Earn your associate of arts degree fully online.
The Associate of Arts in Human Services provides students with an overview of the sociological, psychological and applications of importance in the field of social services. By taking courses in cultural diversity and marriage and family, students learn to work with families and communities in educational and work-related settings. Graduates can start a career in the helping professions with entry-level positions as a social service assistant or human service assistant. Jobs for human service assistants are available in healthcare and social assistance industries or government organizations. This program also allows students to transfer into a Bachelor's degree program.
Purpose and Objectives
For those who desire to obtain a basic understanding of the Bible, the principles of Bible interpretation, and essential skills and background. Many students continue their education in other academic and professional fields.
- Evidence of a basic understanding of the Bible's content
- Utilize correctly standard principles of Bible interpretation
- Demonstrate a meaningful engagement with a local church
- A minimum 60 total semester hours of credit.
- A minimum 12 semester hours of Bible/theology.
- A minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA at the time of graduation.
- Complete 80 clock hours of Christian Service Learning.
- Residence requirement: Complete a minimum of 15 semester hours of coursework through CIU.
- Satisfactory evidence of sound Christian character and doctrinal views. A student will not be accepted as a candidate for a degree who denies any of the doctrines as stated in the Doctrinal Standard, who affirms error in Scripture, or who believes in the ultimate salvation of all people. (Exception: A candidate does not have to affirm the premillennial position expressed in section 8 of the Doctrinal Standard.)
- Read the Bible in its entirety at least once during time at CIU. This reading may be done in conjunction with class assignments. Bible reading completed in conjunction with courses transferred in from another school is accepted.
Why Study Human Services at CIU Online?
- Highly engaged, hands-on online classes with students from all over the world
- Professors who are practitioners of the subjects they teach
- Faculty and staff who are dedicated to getting to know you and providing not only academic support but spiritual support and guidance as well
Career and Ministry Opportunities for Human Services Graduates
Because the Associate of Arts degree also includes core academic courses in General Education, it lays the foundation for a bachelor’s degree or advancement in a variety of professional fields or ministry.
Associate of Arts in Human Services Admission Requirements
- Online application
- $25 application fee
- Official high school transcript or successful completion of General Education Development (GED) Testing Program
- Applicants who have attempted 12 or more college credits post-high school must provide official college transcripts of all work completed or in progress. Recommended college grade point average (GPA) is 2.0 on a 4.0 scale (those with a GPA under 2.0 may be admitted on a provisional basis)