Associate of Arts in Human Services
Ready for a career in Human Services? Earn your associate of arts degree fully online.
The Associate of Arts in Human Services provides students with an overview of the sociological, psychological and applications of importance in the field of social services. By taking courses in cultural diversity and marriage and family, students learn to work with families and communities in educational and work-related settings. Graduates can start a career in the helping professions with entry-level positions as a social service assistant or human service assistant. Jobs for human service assistants are available in healthcare and social assistance industries or government organizations. This program also allows students to transfer into a Bachelor's degree program.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- Develop a personal biblical philosophy of human helping, emphasizing student strengths and potential growth areas.
- Apply the principles and skills of ethical decision-making and respect for diversity within a biblical worldview.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills in helping relationships and group dynamics.
- Recognize the social and psychological dimensions of human interactions in a variety of settings.
HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE
This 60-credit-hour degree will take just over 2 years.
WHY STUDY Human Services AT CIU ONLINE?
- Highly engaged, hands-on online classes with students from all over the world
- Professors who are practitioners of the subjects they teach
- Faculty and staff who are dedicated to getting to know you and providing not only academic support but spiritual support and guidance as well
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE YOU APPLY
- Online application
- $25 application fee
- Official high school transcript or successful completion of General Education Development (GED) Testing Program
- Applicants who have attempted 12 or more college credits post-high school must provide official college transcripts of all work completed or in progress. Recommended college grade point average (GPA) is 2.0 on a 4.0 scale (those with a GPA under 2.0 may be admitted on a provisional basis)
- Signed Statement of Understanding document (completed during the first course)
- Minimum 60 semester hours
- Minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA
- Completion of a minimum of 15 semester hours of CIU coursework
- Completion of a biblical studies core that includes 9 hours of Bible, theology, and ministry courses and at least one additional interdisciplinary Bible-related courses
- Completion of the 18 hour Human Services concentration