Doctor of Philosophy in Biblical Studies
Prepare for Your Career as a Seminary Professor or Dean with our Doctor of Philosophy in Biblical Studies Degree Program
The PhD (Biblical Studies) program is for those who want to teach in post-secondary theological higher education both nationally and internationally. If you want a program that offers you the advanced knowledge and skills needed to research, write, and make a scholarly contribution to the fields of Old Testament or New Testament Studies, the PhD (Biblical Studies) program is for you.
What You'll Learn
- Research and write at an advanced level of biblical scholarship under the functional authority of Scripture.
- Make a scholarly contribution to the field of Old Testament or New Testament Studies.
- Present research results in a professional, organized, coherent, and structured manner in both written and oral form.
- Function responsibly in the context of a supervisory relationship while exhibiting CIU’s core value of victorious Christian living.
Three years of full-time study or five years of part-time study.
Full-Time Study Schedule:
|Issues and Methods in Biblical Studies (3)||
|Principles of Teaching for Biblical Studies (3)||BIB
|Biblical Studies Dissertation Proposal|
|Biblical Studies Dissertation Research 1-2 (6)||BIB
|Biblical Studies Dissertation Research 3-4 (6)||BIB
|Biblical Studies Dissertation Research 5-6 (6)|
|Biblical Studies Dissertation Writing 1-2 (6)||BIB
|Biblical Studies Dissertation Writing 3-4 (6)||BIB
|Biblical Studies Dissertation Defense 1-2 (6)|
Part-Time Study Schedule:
|Issues and Methods in Biblical Studies (3)||BIB 9xxx||Principles of Teaching for Biblical Studies (3)||BIB 9900||Biblical Studies Dissertation Proposal|
|Biblical Studies Dissertation Research 1 (3)||BIB
|Biblical Studies Dissertation Research 2 (3)||BIB 9903||Biblical Studies Dissertation Research 3 (3)|
|Biblical Studies Research 4 (3)||BIB 9905||Biblical Studies Dissertation Research 5 (3)||BIB 9906||Biblical Studies Dissertation Research 6 (3)
|4||BIB 9907||Biblical Studies Dissertation Writing 1 (3)||BIB 9908||Biblical Studies Dissertation Writing 2 (3)||BIB 9909||Biblical Studies Dissertation Writing 3 (3)|
|5||BIB 9910||Biblical Studies Dissertation Writing 4 (3)||BIB 9911||Biblical Studies Dissertation Defense 1 (3)||BIB 9912||Biblical Studies Dissertation Defense 2 (3)|
Why Study Biblical Studies at CIU Online?
- Program design allows you to focus on research and writing from the beginning of your studies.
- Non-residential modality allows you to pursue your degree without relocating.
- Experienced faculty mentors provide individualized guidance in areas of their particular expertise.
- Accredited regionally by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges and nationally by the Association of Biblical Higher Education.
Career and Ministry Opportunities for Biblical Studies Graduates
Graduates with a Ph.D. (Biblical Studies) degree can go on to become:
- Instructors and leaders in global theological education
- Seminary and University instructors in North America
- Academic deans
- Consultants on theological education
- Authors and editors
Doctor of Philosophy in Biblical Studies Admission Requirements
- Application Fee
- Official transcript from accredited institution (all graduate level work)
- Completed MA, MDiv, or ThM with 3.5 GPA
- Submit Master’s thesis or major research paper, approximately 5,000-6,000 words (20-24 pages)
- Submit research proposal (approximately 500 words)
- Biblical languages:
- Biblical Studies: New Testament (4 semesters of Greek; 2 semesters of Hebrew)
- Biblical Studies: Old Testament (4 semesters of Hebrew; 2 semesters of Greek)
- Theological Studies: 4 semesters of either/both biblical languages
- 2 Academic References
- Interview with admissions committee
- *International requirements when appropriate