Complete Your Associate of Arts with CIU’s General Studies Program
At Columbia International University, we are delighted to offer the Associate of Arts in General Studies program, designed to provide transfer students with a solid foundation of knowledge and skills across various disciplines. This program is ideal for individuals who have completed a significant amount of college course work and are seeking to finish their degree with a versatile education that can be customized to match their unique interests, career goals or as a steppingstone towards further academic pursuits.
The Associate of Arts in General Studies program offers a program where you can combine study from a variety of academic, professional or technical fields to fit your individual needs and professional goals. Many students continue their education by pursuing a Bachelor of Science with a General Studies Major. Through this interdisciplinary approach, students are exposed to a diverse range of subjects, allowing them to develop critical thinking, problem-solving and communication skills that are applicable across various fields and professions.
By pursuing the Associate of Arts in General Studies, you can gain the flexibility to tailor your learning experience according to your individual interests and career aspirations. Whether you are passionate about multiple disciplines, have a desire to explore different areas of knowledge or are undecided about a specific major, this program offers the freedom to craft a personalized academic journey.
One of the key benefits of the Associate of Arts in General Studies program is the strong foundation it provides for further education. Graduates can seamlessly transfer their credits to pursue a bachelor’s degree in various fields or explore specialized disciplines. The program also equips students with essential skills and knowledge that can enhance their career prospects or serve as a steppingstone to further academic endeavors.
With dedicated faculty who are experts in their respective fields and a supportive learning environment, students in the Associate of Arts in General Studies program have access to personalized attention, mentorship and resources that foster their intellectual growth and personal development.
Embark on an enriching educational journey with the Associate of Arts in General Studies program at Columbia International University. Discover new perspectives, cultivate a broad range of skills and lay the foundation for your future success in a program designed to empower and equip you for a variety of academic and career pathways.
Why Choose Columbia International University?
Choosing Columbia International University for the Associate of Arts in General Studies program offers numerous advantages and unique opportunities for students. Here are compelling reasons why CIU is the ideal choice for pursuing your educational goals:
- Academic Excellence: CIU is renowned for its commitment to academic excellence. As you pursue your Associate of Arts in General Studies, you will benefit from a rigorous curriculum, engaging coursework and dedicated faculty who are passionate about teaching and guiding students on their educational journey.
- Personalized Attention: At CIU, we prioritize individualized attention and support for our students. You can expect a personalized learning experience, direct access to faculty and meaningful interactions with peers.
- Interdisciplinary Approach: The Associate of Arts in General Studies program at CIU embraces an interdisciplinary approach to education. By exploring courses across various disciplines, you gain a broad-based knowledge foundation and develop a holistic understanding of the interconnectedness of different areas of study.
- Flexibility and Customization: CIU recognizes the importance of tailoring your education to match your interests and goals. The Associate of Arts in General Studies program offers flexibility in course selection, allowing you to customize your learning experience based on your specific areas of interest and career aspirations.
- Transfer Opportunities: CIU has established transfer agreements with numerous colleges and universities, providing a seamless pathway for students to transfer credits earned in the Associate of Arts in General Studies program to pursue a bachelor’s degree at other institutions, if desired.
- Christian Values: CIU is a Christian institution that integrates faith into the educational experience. The Associate of Arts in General Studies program at CIU offers opportunities to explore the integration of faith and learning, promoting character development, ethical decision-making and servant leadership.
- Supportive Community: CIU fosters a supportive and inclusive community where students can thrive personally, academically and spiritually.
By choosing Columbia International University for the Associate of Arts in General Studies program, you will receive a well-rounded education, personalized attention and the opportunity to cultivate your intellectual curiosity while integrating faith into your academic journey. Join us at CIU and embark on a transformative educational experience that prepares you for a purposeful and impactful future.
Overall Benefits of getting this degree
Obtaining an Associate of Arts in General Studies degree offers a range of benefits that contribute to personal growth, academic foundation and future opportunities. Here are the overall benefits of pursuing an Associate of Arts in General Studies at Columbia International University:
- Broad-Based Knowledge: The program provides a comprehensive curriculum that exposes students to various disciplines, allowing them to develop a broad-based understanding of the world. This interdisciplinary approach fosters critical thinking, problem-solving and communication skills that are applicable across different academic fields and professional settings.
- Flexibility and Customization: The Associate of Arts in General Studies degree offers flexibility in course selection, enabling students to tailor their education to match their interests, career goals or transfer plans. This customization allows students to explore multiple disciplines, discover their passions and develop a well-rounded academic foundation.
- Transferable Credits: Graduates of the Associate of Arts in General Studies program can seamlessly transfer their credits to pursue a bachelor’s degree at CIU or other institutions. This provides a pathway for further specialization in specific fields or continued academic pursuits in areas of interest.
- Career Readiness: The program equips students with essential skills, such as critical thinking, communication and problem-solving, that are highly valued in the workforce. Graduates of the Associate of Arts in General Studies are prepared for entry-level positions in a variety of fields and can adapt to diverse career paths.
- Academic Exploration: The Associate of Arts in General Studies degree allows students to explore different academic disciplines, helping them discover their interests and passions. This exploration sets a solid foundation for making informed decisions regarding future educational and career paths.
- Personal Growth: Pursuing an Associate of Arts in General Studies promotes personal growth by enhancing self-awareness, expanding intellectual horizons and fostering a love for lifelong learning. Students develop critical thinking skills, gain cultural awareness and acquire a well-rounded perspective that can enrich their personal and professional lives.
- Pathway to Further Education: The Associate of Arts in General Studies degree serves as a steppingstone for students who plan to pursue a bachelor’s degree or higher education. It provides a strong academic foundation and transferable credits that can be applied toward specialized fields of study.
- Supportive Learning Environment: At Columbia International University, students in the Associate of Arts in General Studies program benefit from a supportive learning environment. Engaging with dedicated faculty, receiving personalized attention and participating in collaborative discussions contribute to their academic success and personal development.
What Will I Study?
- ICS 1210 Discovering the Mission of God
This course is designed to help you develop world-Christian characteristics. You will explore the Christian's heritage in the history of the church and missions, begin to develop a scriptural perspective on the purpose of the gospel in confronting ideologies, religions and spiritual needs of the world, and discuss current strategies for identifying and reaching the lost.3.00 credit hours
- MSD 1110 Encountering Spiritual Formation
This course is designed to introduce the student to the foundational principles of spiritual formation for effective life, ministry, and vocation. The process of the student's spiritual formation includes their relationship with God, their biblical self-image, their relationship with the Body of Christ, their personal relationships, and their relationship with the world. Students are invited into a multiple-year journey of encountering spiritual formation in community. The goal of this course is to help students build a foundation for continued spiritual formation at and beyond their time at CIU.3.00 credit hours
- THE 3310 Christian Theology
This course provides a study of the theological truths of the Bible, during which you will focus on the basic doctrines necessary for a Christian worldview: Scripture, God, Christ, Holy Spirit, sin and salvation, church, and future events. You will examine the doctrinal teaching of the Bible, supplemented with insights from the theological reflections of the church throughout its history and from contemporary theological discussions.3.00 credit hours
- COM 1010 Communication for Leaders
This course provides you a general overview of basic communication skills and strategies that typically accompany proven leaders. Topics covered include listening, evaluating an audience, speaking in public settings, facilitating small work groups, and business writing. The course is a blend of theory and practice. You will have the opportunity to engage and practice leadership communication techniques firsthand. (3) Limited to online program students.3.00 credit hours
- ENG 1010 College Writing and Research 1
This course overviews the tasks and skills involved in writing formal essays. You will increase your writing proficiency step-by-step, accomplishing smaller goals that lead to the achievement of larger goals. You will thoroughly cover the mechanics of good English grammar with the goal of identifying your strengths and weaknesses. As a summative exercise, you will examine biblical examples of various types of writing. (3) Limited to online program students.3.00 credit hours
- ENG 1020 College Writing and Research 2
This course builds upon the knowledge of writing and writing research skills you covered in ENG 1010 - College Writing and Research 1. The course stresses intellectual and analytical reasoning and their contribution to good research and writing practices. Students continue to drill the mechanics of grammar and provide input for other student writers. As a summative exercise, students will examine examples of research and reasoning as they relate to and help us understand the biblical text. (3) Limited to online program students.3.00 credit hours
- HIS 2010 World Civilizations
This course surveys world history from the beginning of civilization to AD 1700. You will study the origins and achievements of the major civilizations of Asia, Africa, Europe, and the Americas. You will also be exposed to Christian, Islamic, and Byzantine cultures. Upon completion of the course, you will have gained a foundational understanding of ancient history-historical, cultural, and geographical factors-and grasp its relationship to the biblical record. (3) Limited to online program students.3.00 credit hours
- MAT 2010 Personal Financial Management
This course will provide you a practical introduction to personal finance management. It highlights strategies for managing personal assets and also explores topics such as the development of personal financial goals, planning and budgeting; avoiding fraud and swindles; buying, insuring, and financing major assets; consumer credit; banking services; investments; insurance; retirement and estate planning; and income tax. You will also learn to understand biblical principles of stewardship that impact financial management. (3) Limited to online program students.3.00 credit hours
- PHI 2110 Introduction to Philosophy
In this course, you will explore some of the fundamental issues that must be addressed by anyone attempting to formulate a comprehensive understanding of things (worldview), and will examine primary texts in order to observe some of the very best thinking regarding these fundamental issues.3.00 credit hours
- PHI 3010 Personal and Social Ethics
In this course, you will study the history of ethics, ethical decision-making, personal character development, and build a framework of Christian personal and social ethics. You will learn to apply a biblical ethic to a range of contemporary issues. (3)3.00 credit hours
- SCI 2010 Earth Science
This course is designed to provide you a general overview of environmental science, with an emphasis on sound science, stewardship, and sustainability. Students study basic concepts of environmental science, relationships between living and nonliving things, human impact upon the environment, and proper care of earth's resources. Critical thinking skills will be utilized throughout this course, with a view toward helping you carefully consider scientific concepts and their effects upon human interactions. The study of environmental science is approached from the perspective that human beings are tasked with practicing appropriate stewardship of God's creation. (3) Limited to online program students.3.00 credit hours
- SOC 1010 Succeeding at CIU
Through this course, you will be introduced to communication, self-motivation, and critical thinking skills necessary for academic success at CIU. (3) Limited to online program students.3.00 credit hours
- SOC 2010 Cultural Diversity
This course is an exploration of cultural diversity and multiculturalism within the framework of a biblical worldview. This course provides you with a process to understand and relate to people of various cultures. It also provides ongoing preparation for effective interaction with all kinds of people in our culturally diverse world. Growth in these skills will equip you with what you need to build trust across cultural differences. (3) Limited to online program students.3.00 credit hours
- Online application
- Official high school transcript or successful completion of General Education Development (GED) Testing Program
- Applicants who have attempted 12 or more college credits post-high school must provide official college transcripts of all work completed or in progress. Recommended college grade point average (GPA) is 2.0 on a 4.0 scale (those with a GPA under 2.0 may be admitted on a provisional basis)
Career Path Opportunities
- Administrative Assistant
- Customer Service Representative
- Sales Associate
- Office Coordinator
- Project Assistant
- Social Media Coordinator
- Research Assistant
- Event Planner Assistant
- Nonprofit Program Assistant
- Human Resources Assistant
- What is the duration of the Associate of Arts in General Studies degree program?
The program typically takes two years to complete on a full-time basis. Part-time study options may be available for students who require a more flexible schedule.
- Can I transfer my Associate of Arts in General Studies credits to a bachelor’s degree program?
Yes, many colleges and universities accept transfer credits from an Associate of Arts in General Studies degree program. It is important to check transfer policies and requirements with the specific institution you plan to attend.
- Can I specialize in a specific field with an Associate of Arts in General Studies degree?
While the degree offers a broad-based education, you have the flexibility to choose elective courses that align with your interests and career goals. This allows you to explore specific areas of study and build foundational knowledge in a particular field.
- What career opportunities are available with an Associate of Arts in General Studies degree?
Graduates can pursue entry-level positions in various industries, such as administration, customer service, sales, project coordination and more. The degree provides a foundation for further specialization or continued education.
- Can I continue my education and pursue a bachelor’s degree after completing the Associate of Arts in General Studies program?
Yes, the Associate of Arts in General Studies degree provides a pathway to pursue a bachelor’s degree in disciplines such as business, communication, social sciences or other areas of interest. Transfer agreements with other institutions may facilitate a smooth transition.
- How can I customize my Associate of Arts in General Studies degree?
You can customize your degree by choosing elective courses that align with your interests and academic goals. This flexibility allows you to explore different disciplines, build a well-rounded skill set or focus on specific areas of study.
- Can I pursue a career in a specialized field with an Associate of Arts in General Studies degree?
While the degree offers a broad foundation, it can provide a solid starting point for entry-level positions in specialized fields. Further education or experience in specific disciplines may be required for advanced career opportunities.
- What support services are available for students in the Associate of Arts in General Studies program?
Students in the Associate of Arts in General Studies program typically have access to a range of support services, including academic advising, tutoring, career counseling, library resources to enhance their overall college experience.