Bachelor of Science in Teacher Education (Five Year), BS/MAT
Why Study Teacher Education at CIU?
The Teacher Education program offers an early childhood (PreK-third grade) and elementary (second to sixth grade) education licensure that leads not only to a bachelor’s degree, but also a Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) degree in five years. During the undergraduate program, you may explore other fields of study by choosing a variety of electives such as Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL), Psychology, Youth Ministry, Teaching Bible, and English.
Complete the M.A.T. program and specific South Carolina state requirements and you may be recommended for initial licensure in early childhood and elementary education. Graduates of the M.A.T. program are also eligible for Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) certification in elementary education with endorsement in early childhood. For those completing designated courses, ACSI endorsements in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages and/or Bible is available.
You may also pursue a supporting minor in various fields of study such as Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL), Psychology, Youth Ministry, Bible Teaching or English.
Your Next Step
Career and Ministry Opportunities for Teacher Education (5-Year BS/MAT) Graduates
Teacher Education at CIU leads you to a world of possibilities:
- Teaching Pre-K to sixth grade in public schools, international schools, charter schools, Christian schools, MK schools, home schools
- Academic interventionist
- Church education
- Ministering to children through mercy organizations worldwide
- Tutoring – private or public institutions
- Directing after-school and day-care programs
- Christian education consultant
- Further training as curriculum and instructional specialist, guidance counselor, school administrator, and doctoral work