The B.A. in TESOL prepares professional teachers of English to speakers of other languages with the knowledge and skills necessary to teach both children and adults effectively in a wide variety of cross-cultural settings. You'll be prepared for leadership roles in TESOL and for living and teaching in another country or culture.
What You'll Learn
- Basic understanding of linguistics and Second Language Acquisition (SLA).
- How to use of materials, methods, and procedures appropriate for effective second-language teaching.
- How to plan and develop lessons for teaching English to speakers of other languages.
- How to apply principles and rationale for using English language teaching as a means of ministering cross-culturally.
This 120-credit-hour degree can be completed in 4 years.
Why Study TESOL at CIU?
• Our professors are seasoned veterans in TESOL and are experts in the field.
• The program has a proven track record of placing qualified English teachers around the world.
• The program equips you in intercultural ministry skills.
- Minimum 120 semester hours
- Minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA
- Completion of a minimum of 120 semester hours of CIU coursework
- Completion of a biblical studies core that includes 18 hours of Bible, theology, and ministry courses and at least 12 hours of additional interdisciplinary Bible-related courses
- Minimum of 30 semester hours of general education
A B.A. in TESOL equips students to:
• Teach adults in language institutes and universities in the United States and around the world.
• Teach ESL to K-12 students in the United States.
• Teaching English in the midst of ministry and mission work.
- Online application
- $25 application fee
- Official high school transcript or successful completion of General Education Development (GED) Testing Program
- Applicants who have attempted 12 or more college credits post-high school must provide official college transcripts of all work completed or in progress. Recommended college grade point average (GPA) is 2.0 on a 4.0 scale (those with a GPA under 2.0 may be admitted on a provisional basis)
- Signed Statement of Understanding document (completed during the first course)