Ready for a career in Human Services? Earn your associate of arts degree fully online.
The Associate of Arts in Human Services is for those who desire to obtain a fundamental understanding of the human services field and to acquire an appreciation for a particular career path. The knowledge gained in this degree prepares students for further study at the bachelor, master, and doctoral levels within the health and human services fields.
- Apply the principles and skills of ethical decision-making and respect for diversity within a biblical worldview.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills in helping relationships and group dynamics.
- Recognize the social and psychological dimensions of human interactions in a variety of settings.
- Develop a personal biblical philosophy of human helping, emphasizing student strengths and potential growth areas.
- A minimum 60 total semester hours of credit.
- A minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA at the time of graduation.
- Completion of a minimum of 15 semester hours of CIU coursework
- Completion of a biblical studies core that includes 9 hours of Bible/theology/ministry courses and at least one additional interdisciplinary Bible-related course
- Completion of the 15 hour Human Services concentration
Why Study Human Services at CIU Online?
- Highly engaged, hands-on online classes with students from all over the world
- Professors who are practitioners of the subjects they teach
- Faculty and staff who are dedicated to getting to know you and providing not only academic support but spiritual support and guidance as well
Course of Study (60)
- ICS 1210 - Discovering the Mission of God Credits: 3
- MSD 1110 - Encountering Spiritual Formation Credits: 3
- THE 2010 - Survey of Bible Doctrine Credits: 3
General Education (36)
- COM 1010 - Communication for Leaders Credits: 3
- CPT 1010 - Technology for College Credits: 3
- ENG 1010 - College Writing and Research 1 Credits: 3
- ENG 1020 - College Writing and Research 2 Credits: 3
- HIS 2010 - World Civilizations Credits: 3
- MAT 2010 - Personal Financial Management Credits: 3
- PHI 1010 - Philosophy and Worldview Credits: 3
- PHI 3010 - Personal and Social Ethics Credits: 3
- PSY 2010 - Organizational and Industrial Psychology Credits: 3
- SCI 2010 - Earth Science Credits: 3
- SOC 1010 - Succeeding at CIU Credits: 3
- SOC 2010 - Cultural Diversity Credits: 3
Human Services Concentration (15)
- HMS 1010 - Introduction to Human Services Credits: 3
- HMS 3110 - Introduction to Applied Behavior Analysis Credits: 3
- PSY 2020 - Developmental Psychology Credits: 3
- SOC 2020 - Principles of Sociology Credits: 3
- SOC 2030 - Marriage and Family Credits: 3
- Online application
- Official high school transcript or successful completion of General Education Development (GED) Testing Program
- Applicants who have attempted 12 or more college credits post-high school must provide official college transcripts of all work completed or in progress. Recommended college grade point average (GPA) is 2.0 on a 4.0 scale (those with a GPA under 2.0 may be admitted on a provisional basis)
Because the Associate of Arts degree also includes core academic courses in General Education, it lays the foundation for a bachelor’s degree or advancement in a variety of professional fields or ministry.